Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Normal

I wake up at 7:30 to work out 4 days a week.
I take 6 classes.
I call my mom at least a few times a week.
I don't go out.
I've never had a boyfriend.
I go to Mass every week, sometimes more often.
I can't remember the last time I slept through the night.
I'm saving myself for marriage.

This is my normal. These are also things that categorically and on a regular basis have made me feel like I'm not.

In my dorm, my roommates and I have become used to the screams and yelling of people outside on their way out to bars and parties, while we stay in and bemoan our lives filled with homework and then settle in for the night with wine and a movie, sometimes feeling lame for doing so.

In my classes, I'm surrounded by other Theology majors who seem to have it way more together than me and sometimes make me feel like I'm not Catholic enough or devout enough since I don't usually make it to daily mass or say a rosary.

Sometimes it feels like I have to choose between these two extremes. I can either be a lame homebody who goes to daily mass and only knows how to talk about Jesus and rejects people who watch the Bachelor on premise.

Or I can not care about my grades because that's for nerds and skip class and go out every night and go broke on beer.

I'm saying no to that. I'm not interested in trying to be what people expect from a girl whose a Theology major or feeling like a loser for staying in. I'm living in and embracing the tension between the two extremes. I'm a Theology major who watches The Bachelor every week. I like to take care of myself and for me that means working out when the gym opens and it also means using my 40 minute break between classes to sit in the chapel. I have a drink every now and then with my friends, but I don't enjoy going out and getting wasted. I read blogs of stay at home moms for fun. I can talk to you about my faith, or I can talk to you about you. I feel like I can spread the joy I get from Christ either way.

I'm Chris, and that's my normal. Make up your own normal. We do not have to be our majors, or our hometowns, or our drink of choice. We need you to be you. 




No comments:

Post a Comment