Sunday, December 29, 2013

"I feel fat today."

We've all said it, haven't we? So what do we mean? What prompts it? A step on the scale, a too-small pair of jeans, a look in the mirror? A critical look, from others or ourselves?

I said it yesterday. Well really, I mumbled it into my pillow through tears to my mother. I feel fat. I feel heavy, out of shape. I don't like looking in the mirror. This entire break I've pretty much lived in a pair of sweatpants and tshirts, preferring to hide myself than wear clothes that actually show the shape I'm hating.

I wasn't always like this. I've been overweight all my life (literally from the beginning, I weighed in at a whopping 11 pounds, 8 ounces at birth) and did nothing about it until the summer before my senior year of high school. I began that summer at my highest weight ever, and dropped 27 pounds before the first day of school. And I did it the right way. I worked out, I watched what I ate, and it worked. But I lost momentum, and I stayed at pretty much that same weight, with the same extra 20 pounds or so still hanging on my frame until I went abroad three years later.

I studied abroad in Italy. Y'know, the Holy Land of pizza and pasta (twice a day) and gelato (once a day). So long, diet. I felt fine while I was there, but then I came home and hated what I saw in the mirror. This past semester my roommate and I teamed up and became work out buddies, and I lost about ten pounds, which I'm proud of. But now I'm home, and the gym isn't a 30 second walk, it's a 15 minute drive, and I don't have a car to myself, and it's the holidays and there's food everywhere, and excuses, excuses, excuses. I'd be surprised if I haven't gained back at least some of the weight I lost this semester.

But tomorrow's another day. There are 2 weeks left of break, and then back at school I'll get back into my workout routine with my own food and my own schedule. There's a bigger picture. Yes, the last couple days I felt fat. But it's not who I am. And I'll lose the extra weight. I just have to remember to give myself some perspective on "I feel fat" days.

So whenever you're thinking this:

"I feel fat." 

And you're telling yourself in translation:

"I'm ugly. I'm not attractive. No one wants me. I shouldn't bother trying. I hate myself for gaining this weight."

Remember. Perspective:

"You are more than your weight. Your beauty is not dictated by numbers on a scale. You are as beautiful as you know yourself to be."

That's what I'm going to be trying to tell myself. Despite the acne that's broken out like crazy in the last week, despite the urge to eat all the Christmas candy, despite the doubts-

Love yourself.

Love, Chris

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great message you're sending to your readers, Chris! To love one's self may seem easy, but few realize that this may be the hardest thing to do. A lot of people tend to focus on the externals such as how they look, what they value and appreciate materially, etc., that they forget those are the products of our feelings, our emotions and our "inner self." I really think that feeling good about one's self is the first step to personal improvement. Anyway, I hope your message gets across a wider audience.

    Dr. Kenneth Sanders @ Knight And Sanders

    ReplyDelete