Monday, March 11, 2013

Spring Break! A Photo Summary

What a week! I don't think I could even begin to say everything about this week in a single post, so I think for the moment I'll just post a handful of my favorite photos from the trip with a bit to say for each of them!


First up was Barcelona! During our 3 days there, we visited Sagrada Familia. This cathedral has been under construction for nearly 100 years, and it still isn't complete! Between running out of money and architects dying, it's been a work in progress for decades now. I had seen Sagrada Familia from the outside before- and I hated it. Thank God I went in! From the outside, it's absolutely gaudy and cluttered, but inside my view was completely transformed.


I love stained glass, and the high ceilings gave such a feeling of lightness that you never could have suspected just from looking at the outside of the cathedral.


Next was London!!


My friend Cait and I loved the bunk beds in our hostel :)


We stayed right by St Paul's and this is the view we had after crossing the Millennium Bridge on our first night. We packed in a TON of stuff during our four days in London.



We did a tour of Tower Bridge.


We went on the London Eye!


The view from the top! In typical London style, it was foggy and rainy and we loved it anyway.


Obligatory telephone box picture with Big Ben hanging out in the background.


We went in the Tower of London and got to see the Crown Jewels which are housed there. And I made friends with a Beefeater! :)


This is the best picture I have ever been in.

We went to King's Cross to see Platform 9 3/4. It was so great. We also saw Abbey Road, Baker Street, the inside of Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's and the British Museum, where we saw the Rosetta Stone.

Then we took a 9 hour overnight bus to Edinburgh.

(...Never take a 9 hour overnight bus to Edinburgh)

Despite no sleep and the frigid cold, we perked up enough to go on a 4 hour walking tour of Old Town Edinburgh, and within half an hour I knew I'd have to come back to Scotland. It was so so beautiful. Plus we had an awesome Australian named Kiel as our guide, who easily could have passed for Scottish, because he has one of the most magnificent beards I've ever seen.



Very, very cold!


This morning we woke up to a couple inches of snow on the ground before we left to come back to Rome. It's bound to be another memorable week here, though- Conclave starts tomorrow!

I'll let you know when I see the white smoke!

Love, Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment