Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Time to Go

After a whirlwind 2 and a half weeks of break....

CUA friends from NH, MA, and RI met up at LaSalette Shrine in Attleboro, MA to see the Festival of Lights

Family did a 2 night stay at Mt. Washington in the White Mountains of NH after Christmas
My family at Mt. Washington

I'm now sitting in my gate at Boston Logan Airport! I'll fly from here to Dublin, and then in Dublin I'll meet up with Caitlin, another CUA girl in the program, and we have the same connecting flight into Rome. Hopefully we'll be able to seamlessly navigate our way through the airport to get a taxi to school (Based on the not-so-graceful way I made my way from the parking garage to the terminal with my 2 50lb suitcases in tow, this is not likely).

Once Caitlin and I get to school, we'll just drop our bags and head to a nearby hotel for orientation. We'll be there until Sunday.  Orientation will cover transportation in Rome, knowing our way around our neighborhood, and some general safety stuff.

Everyone has been asking me if I'm ready to go. I actually think I am, but in truth, I just wish it was about 2 weeks from now. I would have this monster of a flight behind me, for one thing. Plus, in two weeks, so much of the unknown will be, well, known.  I'll be in my second week of classes (I start classes Tuesday) and I'm sure orientation will take care of me having some idea of who all these people I'm sharing this experience with are.

Pretty much everyone who saw me at all during those 3 weeks between Thanksgiving break and winter break knows that I was having a fair bit of anxiety over leaving.  But of course, all of you were right: You'll be here when I get back, and I still have 2 more full years at CUA after I get back! Despite being sad to say goodbye to all of you, I really am so excited to be going to Rome. I kind of can't believe it's actually here, to be honest.  I've been planning this since Spring 2012, when I started talking to my advisors about going, and spent the better part of the beginning of the Fall working on getting all of my application materials together.

But here I am! I managed to pack my life into 2 suitcases, and I won't be back on American soil for 4 months. I'm pretty sure I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, and how many adventures I'll have

....And I'm psyched about that :)


Next time you hear from me, I'll be in Italy! Have a great rest of winter break everyone, and safe travels back to school!

Love, Chris

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris! Looking forward to your updates. Mimi was touched/thrilled that you called her from the airport. I'll read your blogs to her. Love ya! (Andiamo!!!-the only Italian I remember from 7th grade)

    ReplyDelete