Friday, January 18, 2013

Saying goodbye

I wrote this letter to my Papa and gave it to him the last time I saw him. It's being read by my sister Emily at his funeral today, and if you don't mind, I'd like to share it here with you.


Dear Papa,

When I heard that you were sick, I asked a few of my friends to pray for you.  One of my friends, Joe, gave me this bracelet to give to you, along with the message that he hopes you feel better.  Joe works at the Basilica that’s next to my college in the gift shop.  He got the bracelet from there. I thought maybe you could put it on your wheelchair or hang it on the rearview mirror in the car. It has little pictures of saints on it, and I have one just like it.


You’re the only grandfather I ever had, and I love you. Some of the greatest memories I have from my childhood are from playing in your house on Marlaine Drive, and hearing your stories, and eating the food you cooked for all of us. I loved visiting you in Florida and going to Disney World with you. 

Thank you for giving me such an incredible family. I love all of your children, my aunts and uncles, and all of their kids, all my cousins.  Thank you especially for raising my dad to be such a great man, and for marrying Grandma, who is one of the most wonderful ladies I know.  All of these people bring so much joy to my life, and so do you.

I’m so sorry that you’re sick, and that you’ve been in so much pain for so long.  But I hope you will be comforted, as I am, by knowing that God has a beautiful home waiting for you in Heaven. 

Hopefully I’ll see you there someday.

Love,
Christine

1 comment:

  1. Chris-your letter is wonderful and Emily did a great job of reading it.I was crying. The service was an incredible tribute to your Papa. I didn't have the opportunity to know him well but it sounds like that was my loss.

    ReplyDelete