Sunday, January 20, 2013

It's okay to not be okay

One of the things that has helped me the most as I adjust to studying abroad in Rome is remembering to be patient with myself. After all, I'm only just beginning my 3rd week here in a totally different country. The language, the customs, and the entire way of life is foreign to me.  I'm the most independent I've ever been. I'm separated from everyone I love and everything familiar to me.

It's hard.

And that's okay. It's okay that I'm not okay. It's okay that I don't feel home here yet, or that I can't confidently say that I feel like I belong here.  It's okay that I spent my Saturday night Skyping with my parents and watching a movie in my room, and had a Nutella and jelly sandwich for dinner, even though I'm in Rome and that's so great and I need to take advantage of how great it is that I'm here.

You know what? My parents are great. And the movie Due Date with Robert Downey Jr. is great, and don't even try to tell me Nutella isn't great.

Because sometimes, no matter how cool the city right outside is, that's just what you need to do. And I do know that it's great that I'm here, and I'm going to miss it when I leave, and that this is such a great opportunity for me to make the most of. And I'll get there. But right now, it's important for me to remember that I'm doing alright, right where I'm at.

"I find that it is a lot easier and more bearable to be sad when you aren't constantly berating yourself for being sad." - John Green

Love, Chris

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you just need some down time-and that's perfectly OK! Love you.

    ReplyDelete