Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Experience

Tonight as I stepped off the metro, a woman was in front of me. In fact, I was behind her all the way to my destination. On the way, I noticed that she caught the glance of every person that passed, man and woman alike. As I trailed behind her, I realized that not a single person that passed us by could resist looking her up and down.

So who was this mystery woman? A celebrity? Did she have a recognizable face, maybe a magnetic smile?

No. She had ‘shorts’ that covered an inch of her thigh, sheer black pantyhose, and leopard print boots that went past her knee.

Is this really what I’m up against as a young woman today? It was so striking to me that not a single person could resist looking this woman up and down as they passed by us. Is the glance of every person that passes me by what I’m striving for?

I hope not. That’s not the kind of attention I want to get, even though I’m taught to, by our society, our magazine covers, and our media. Instead, it’s up to me to decide what I want to do to make the world take notice. I can tell you one thing- it won’t have anything to do with my hemline.


*also posted as a status on my Facebook on Jan 22


"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." -Leo Tolstoy

Love, Chris

1 comment:

  1. I never had a doubt that you have your priorities in the right order!

    ReplyDelete